This beautiful home has been lovingly restored and developed over the last 36 years by the vendors, who are now reluctantly having to sell. Offering a unique opportunity to experience 'a little bit of paradise', Lift the Latch nestles within a charming valley alongside a 'no through' lane close to the Somerset/Dorset/Devon border and within easy reach of the World Heritage Jurassic Coast.
Built with solid walls with render and colour washed elevations set beneath a tiled roof, the property is presented to a high standard with gas fired central heating and double glazing throughout. The accommodation is particularly flexible and is arranged as follows; on the ground floor, entrance hall, kitchen, dining room, lounge, study/snug, guest suite with ensuite and conservatory. Attached to the house and also accessed from the entrance hall is a magnificent heated indoor swimming pool with separate shower room. To the first floor are three double bedrooms, (master en suite) and a separate shower room. To the side of the property is a gated driveway with ample parking space leading to a detached double garage with fantastic Games Room/Office space beneath.
The garden is an outstanding feature, and has been stunningly planted out to provide all-year-round colour with minimal maintenance. It is well known in the gardening world, having been formerly included in the National Gardens Scheme open gardens and featured on BBC television.
Situated on the edge of the hamlet of Forton, Lift the Latch is close to both the Cricket St Thomas Estate and the Historic Forde Abbey. Chard is just one mile to the north, and is accessible by bus from the end of the lane. It caters for most everyday needs with a choice of major supermarkets, smaller retailers, leisure facilities etc. The County Town of Taunton is some 16 miles to the north providing a comprehensive choice of retail, educational and leisure opportunities. Transport links to the rest of the country are excellent, with an intercity rail service from Crewkerne, (London Waterloo) and Taunton, (London Paddington) and easy access to both the A303 and the M5 motorway.
Entrance Hall - with tiled floor, radiator, double glazed doors to outside, (via utility) and swimming pool; doors to cloakroom and kitchen.
Utility Lobby - with tiled floor, plumbing for washing machine, double glazed door to garden.
Cloakroom - vanity unit with inset basin, tiled floor & walls, low level WC.
Kitchen - 20' x 6'3" (6.1m x 1.91m) with range of units, cupboards and worktops with tiled splash backs, built in fridge, electric fan oven, gas hob with extractor hood, sink, tiled floor, radiator and walk-in larder/storage cupboard.
Dining Room - 13'4" x 9'7" (4.06m x 2.92m) with radiator, beamed ceiling
Sitting Room - 15' x 13' (4.57m x 3.96m) Inglenook fireplace with exposed stonework & timbers, wood burner effect gas stove, beamed ceiling, radiator door and steps up to
Study/Snug - 14'2" x 9'7" (4.32m x 2.92m) with beamed ceiling, radiator, steps down to conservatory and door to
Bedroom 4 - 10'7" x 6' (3.23m x 1.83m) with radiator, double glazed door to outside and door to
En-Suite Shower Room - vanity unit with inset basin, radiator/towel rail, shower cubicle with electric shower, low level WC and tiled walls & floor. Airing cupboard containing Worcester gas fired boiler for hot water & central heating
Garden Room - 12' x 10'(3.66m x 3.05m) of Upvc construction, with blinds on all windows and double doors opening on to the garden.
Landing - with velux roof lights and exposed beams.
Bedroom 1 - 10'7" x 9'6" (3.23m x 2.9m) Double aspect, with radiator, exposed ceiling beams, large built in mirror fronted wardrobe and access to roof space.
En-Suite Shower Room - heated tiled floor, tiled walls, radiator/towel rail, low level WC, washbasin, shower cubicle with electric shower, extractor fan.
Bedroom 2 - 13'3" x 10'2" (4.04m x 3.1m) Double aspect with radiator, exposed ceiling beams.
Bedroom 3 - 11'4" x 11' (3.45m x 3.35m) with exposed ceiling beams, radiator, built in mirror fronted wardrobe and access to roof space.
Shower Room - vanity unit with inset basin, low level WC, shower cubicle with electric shower, radiator/towel rail, tiled walls and exposed ceiling beams.
From the lane, double gates access the parking area and Double Garage 19' x 18'7" (5.79m x 5.66m) with double electric up and over door, light and power. Below the garage with separate access is the Games Room 18'4" x 17'7" (5.59m x 5.36m) with light and power. Attached to the west end of the cottage is a splendid heated indoor Swimming Pool 39'4" x 19'2" (11.99m x 5.84m) with two sets of double glazed doors to the garden terrace, shower room with low level WC, washbasin and shower cubicle with electric shower. Pump house to the rear with filtration unit and gas boiler.
The mature garden has been created to give colour all year round with the minimum of maintenance. Adjoining the garden is a paddock of approximately a quarter of an acre. It has been left to create a natural haven for wildlife but could easily be adapted for a variety of uses.
The garden is arranged on two levels leading down to a large wildlife pond with an attractively planted central island which is home to ducks, moorhens and the occasional kingfisher. Alongside the swimming pool is a raised ornamental fish pond with pump and filtration unit. There is a selection of mature fruit trees, a small kitchen garden with raised vegetable beds, a fruit cage and a metal store shed. A gate then leads to a rough paddock with a dilapidated stable and independent road access. The whole area extends to an estimated 1.24 acres.
The property is on water rates costing around £569 annually and also has a septic tank.
Please Read - COVID-19 Health and safety measures::
- Prior to viewings we will make specific arrangements to ensure minimal contact with all parties involved.
- Government guidelines state that we should only be conducting physical viewings with potential buyers who are seriously interested. To facilitate this we will be qualifying any potential buyers ability to be able to proceed and their financial situation by requesting up to date proof of their ability to purchase to ensure that any lender criteria or circumstance had has changed due to Coronavirus.
- All viewers should be using protective masks, gloves and equipment in line with government guidelines. Not doing so may result in your viewing being cancelled or refused entry.
- Only serious buyers in a position to proceed will be permitted to view (with a maximum of 2 people). This means that we will not be conducting viewings with any relatives, friends or people of which the property will not be potentially purchased in their name.
- We may ask all viewers whether any party is showing symptoms or has been asked to self-isolate and be especially careful for vulnerable groups, including those who are pregnant, aged 70 or over, or who have a long-term health condition.
- We will be applying social distancing by keeping at least 2 metres apart and instructing all viewers and clients to do the same.
- We advise viewers to wash their hands or use hand sanitiser and avoid touching surfaces.
- Government guidelines state that properties should be cleaned before and after viewings therefore we are unable to hold open days or facilitate multiple consecutive viewings. As a consequence this will mean that if there are multiple viewings booked on a property then we will have to arrange them subject to the vendors cleaning process and the time it will take them to be able to stage further viewings. This could result in circumstances where some viewers will have to wait several days for a viewing.
- During the waiting period it is also possible the vendor will decide to accept an offer from an interested party.
- Viewers are also urged to read and abide by the government advice on moving home.
AGENTS NOTE:: Evolve Estate Agents market homes from Yeovil to Chard and are available for appointments with buyers and sellers from 8am-8pm including Saturdays and Sundays. Our Yeovil office is open 9am-5pm Monday-Friday.
Please note that once an offer is placed on a property and prior to removing a property from the market we will require the following where applicable:
The full name and contact details of any buyers involved.
Your estate agents contact details.
Proof of ability to purchase including a valid agreement in principle from a mortgage lender/broker and proof of any deposit.
Confirmation of which solicitor you are using including who is acting specifically for you and their contact details.
In addition, due to current Money Laundering regulations, we must carry out customer due diligence which means taking steps to identify our customers and checking they are who they say they are. In practice this means obtaining a customer's proof of identity. We will require at least two forms of identity including a photograph and a proof of address.
DISCLAIMER:: These particulars, whilst believed to be accurate are set out as a general guideline and do not constitute any part of an offer or contract. Intending purchasers shouldn't rely on them as statements of fact, but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to their accuracy. Please note that we have not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services including heating and so cannot verify they are in working order or fit for their purpose. Solicitors should confirm moveable items described in the sales particulars and, in fact, included in the sale since circumstances do change during the marketing or negotiations. Although we try to ensure accuracy, any measurements that are used in this listing are approximate and usually at the maximum width or length of the room. Therefore if intending purchasers need accurate measurements for any reason then they should take such measurements themselves. Photographs are produced for general information and it must not be inferred that any items which happen to be in the photographs are included in the sale.